A Comprehensive Overview of Cardiac CT Scan
Heart health issues are one of the main causes of death worldwide and are mostly preventable. But for various reasons, it remains undetected and leads to a life-threatening event. As per the report, around 60% of heart diseases are experienced by the Indian population. For some people, heart disease remains undetected and untreated. On the other hand, in some people, it can be indicated symptomatically. To prevent the worst from happening with your health, a proactive decision needs to be taken. A proactive diagnosis of your cardiac health helps in the diagnosis and management of heart-related issues.
To detect heart health issues, the doctor prescribes various types of diagnostic procedures. Cardiac CT (computed tomography) scanning is one of the best diagnostic procedures that your doctor uses to evaluate the functioning and condition of your heart valves and muscles to detect acute as well as chronic heart health issues. With the help of a cardiac CT scan, your doctor may be able to determine the best course of treatment to keep your heart healthy.
In this blog, you get the basics of understanding a cardiac CT scan.
Let’s Start With The Key Points To Be Discussed:
- Cardiac CT scan
- How is a cardiac CT scan useful?
- What does a cardiac CT scan reveal?
- How is a cardiac CT scan performed?
- How do I prepare for a cardiac CT scan?
- How long does a cardiac CT scan take to complete?
- How much does a cardiac CT scan cost?
CT Scan Of The Heart
A cardiac CT (computerized tomography) scan is an imaging test that looks inside the internal structure of your heart to detect heart health issues. It uses a rotating x-ray beam and computer system to give you 3-D images of the inside of the heart. It makes it easy for your doctor to detect various kinds of heart-related issues at an early stage. This scan provides critical information about your heart and aids in the diagnosis of complications and heart issues.
How Is A Cardiac CT Scan Useful?
A cardiac CT scan is highly beneficial because, compared to other diagnostic procedures such as X-rays, it provides highly accurate information about the disease and helps your doctor get the best information about the condition and working of your heart. They provide information on plaque build-up in your arteries, soft tissues in your heart, issues with the valves, etc. Detailed information about your cardiac health helps you keep your heart healthy.
What Does A Cardiac CT Scan Reveal?
A cardiac CT scan reveals different kinds of cardiac health issues, such as:
- Risk factors for heart disease
- Heart attacks
- Fat accumulation in the coronary arteries
- Weakened heart muscle
- Plaque accumulation in the arteries
- Pulmonary embolism
- Misaligned heart chambers
- Heart valve disease
How Is A Cardiac CT Scan Performed?
For the cardiac CT scan procedure, you are instructed to lie straight and motionless on an examination table that is attached to the CT scanner.
- You need to hold breath for a few seconds during the test.
- During a CT scan, the x-ray rotates around the specific area and captures the best possible images.
- Once the scanning procedure is over, the technologist slides the examination table out of the machine, and you can continue your normal daily activities right afterward.
How Do I Prepare For A Cardiac CT Scan?
- Put on the hospital gown and change your clothes.
- Give your doctor your past medical history.
- Remove your metallic accessories and jewelry.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, inform your doctor or technician immediately.
How Long Does A Cardiac CT Scan Take To Complete?
Although the scanning procedure takes a few seconds to complete, the complete procedure of a cardiac CT scan takes 30 to 45 minutes, including preparation and scanning time.
How Much Does A Cardiac CT Scan Cost?
A cardiac CT scan is considered the most effective preventive diagnostic method to detect and diagnose cardiac health issues. It provides important information about the inside of the heart and its associated structure that helps get the right treatment for heart health issues.